I know a big thing now that we're all home in quarantine is we have to cook more than we normally do, no more grabbing a quick bite and coffee at the drive thru on our way to work, no more going down the hall to our cafeteria or across the street at the local cafe during our lunch break, no more meeting up with a long time friend after work for happy hour and half priced apps. For those of us who are non-essential, we've had to learn how to prepare more food at home and I found that I've been making a lot of the same meals and that gets INCREDIBLY dull and boring. Thankfully my family, on both my side and my husband's side, are all cooks and my husband's aunt has been sending me new Italian recipes to try and this is one of them. It's super easy and quick, done in 30 minutes, great way to get your daily veggies in, and tastes absolutely amazing!
Pasta with Asparagus Sauce:
-Asparagus, one bunch
-Box of Paccheri or Penne Pasta (I prefer to use WHOLE wheat pasta or protein based pasta such as Banza)
-Garlic, 1 clove
-Basil, to taste
-Seasoned Pecorino or Parmesan, 40g
-Oil, to taste
-Salt to taste
-Pepper as needed
-Blender or Food Processor
1. Heat a pot of salt water until it boils; Meanwhile, cut the asparagus into three parts, the first part of the stem eliminate it, the second cut it into rounds, keep the tips whole.
2. In a small pan put the butter and the first part of the stem, cook for 7 minutes by adding a ladle of pasta cooking water; Blend everything in either blender or food processor, adding salt, pepper and basil to the asparagus.
3. Cook the pasta in boiling water for the time indicated in the package minus a couple of minutes.
4. In the same pan with the asparagus, cook the asparagus tips with another knob of butter and a clove of garlic.
5. Drain the pasta once finished and put in pan with the asparagus tips and allow to cook for another minute, remove the garlic, add cream of asparagus and sauté well to mix the ingredients.
6. Finish off with the grated pecorino or parmesan and a grated lemon.
7. Enjoy with your family! 😋
La famiglia è la patria del cuore. (Family is where the heart is).